Getting rid of cooking oil isn’t the easiest thing to do. It can get really messy at times when you are trying to get rid of these oils. But you can’t stop using cooking oil either. Because without cooking oil your food won’t taste as good as it does now.
There are many ways to dispose of cooking oil. You can recycle it or reuse it. But they aren’t really getting rid of cooking oil or helping you in any way. And the worst idea is to pour them into your sink. So, what to do? Well, that’s what we will find out here.
How to dispose of cooking oil
Disposing cooking oil
You can actually throw your cooking oil in trash without creating a mess. That’s the method we will be discussing here. Let’s get started on that.
- First of all, you have to make sure the oil is completely cooled off. You don’t want to be anywhere near hot oil because that can be very risky. Never pour hot oil into anything at all. Just let the oil cool in the same pan or container. Wait for the oil to come in room temperature.
- Then get a container that has a resealable lid. There are benefits of using such containers. If you wish to reuse the oil you can do it. You just need to have a clean container for that. But if you are thinking of throwing it away then it doesn’t have to be clean.
- Now, pour the oil in the container and seal it properly. Make sure no oil is leaking from anywhere at all. Then throw it into your trashcan.
It’s as simple as that. But it can be costly due to the fact that you have to get a lot of containers. As a solution to that problem we have got another idea.
- Instead of throwing away the container you can actually freeze the oil. You can do that with any kind of container or even can. Just pour the used oil in the can or container and keep it in the freezer. When the oil completely freezes you can just scoop it out and get rid of it.
- Or you can use a plastic trash bag with soaking elements. Such as, papers, sands, cat litters, tissues, scraps, etc. They will soak all the oil inside the bag and won’t create any mess at all. Then throw away the trash bag in the bin.
You should also keep in mind things you should never do to dispose of cooking oils.
- Never pour cooking oil down the sink. They can clog your sink pipes and cause plumbing damage.
- Don’t pour used oil into compost. It will ruin all the good in your compost.
There you go. Now you know how to dispose of cooking oil. You can go for methods like reusing and recycling if you wish. But they won’t be a viable option if you are not comfortable using the same oil over and over again. Throwing them in the trash is the best way to get rid of them.